T-Mobile CEO John Legere is nothing if not brazen, often to the amusement and respect of the people on the Internet, but his curse-riddled rant against the Electronic Frontier Foundation last week attracted nothing but criticism, especially from his customers. In response to the EFF’s claim that T-Mobile throttles video content through its Binge On feature in violation of net neutrality, Legere freaked the hell out at the organization. Unfortunately for him, most people took the EFF’s side in the little spat, which prompted Legere to post an apology on Monday.
T-Mobile’s brash CEO John Legere is taking a break from dropping F-bombs to drop an apology. In a blog posted Monday afternoon, Legere said he was sorry for insulting the Electronic Frontier Foundation last week. The spat began last Thursday during a question and answer session on Twitter about T-Mobile’s new Binge On feature. T-Mobile (TMUS) says Binge On allows customers to stream videos from select partners without the data coming out of their monthly plans. Critics say T-Mobile actually throttles, or slows, video content. Treating one kind of content differently than others is a violation of net neutrality principals. The EFF asked Legere about the issue on Twitter. After partially answering the question in a video, Legere said, “Who the f— are you anyway EFF? Why are you stirring up so much trouble, and who pays you?” EFF supporters quickly flooded social media in defense of the 25-year-old non-profit organization. One Binge On partner, Slidefuse, dropped out of the program. “By now you know that I am a vocal, animated and sometimes foul mouthed CEO. I don’t filter myself and you know that no one at T-Mobile filters me either (no, they don’t even try),” said Legere in the post.